1. The group on arrival on Garden Island
2. On arrival we were treated to the arrival of a submarine accompanied by a water-spraying fire boat.
3.Two of the historic trees on the island, Moreton Bay Fig Ficus macrophlia and 4. The earliest graffiti in Australia (W B 1788) or "the oldest marks extant of white settlement".
5. The view from the top of the Signal Building
6. Laurie tells us about the luck of one sailor on board the HMAS Kuttabul who survived when it was sunk in Sydney Harbour by a Japanese submarine's torpedo. And 7. Margaret surveys Sydney through the only land periscope in Australia.
8. The regular walkers greet the social walkers
9. Walking towards the Macquarie Lighthouse as the storm clouds start to gather. (Can anyone identify the white structure over the horizon?-Ed.)
10. Coffee at the Grumpy Baker
11. The storm clouds become menacing (can't get rid of my finger!!)
As the ferry pulled away from Watsons Bay Wharf the rain started - perfect timing.
(Perfect timing continued with a 2 minute wait for the train at Circular Quay and a 2 minute wait for the train at Wynyard.)
The people on the walk were Margaret B and Anne R (leaders), Lawrie, Barrie, Annette, Jean Mc, Wendy P, Christine, Jim and Sue K and a visitor (the latter two for Garden Island only).
Words and photos by Anne R.