Notwithstanding temperatures in the thirties, 46 members and 6 visitors made their way to Bobbin Head for our traditional end of year BBQ. Once there and under cover, no time was wasted in setting out a great array of nibbles dips and other tasty offerings and firing up the BBQ's. As the steaks, fish, sausages and other interesting items (even haloumi) sizzled, members chatted and quenched their thirst before retreating to the tables to consume the results of their efforts at the BBQ. As members ate and chatted, President Kurt delivered a short speech thanking members for their contributions during the year and encouraging them to consider coming forward next year to stand on the committee and act as understudies for the key positions of Secretary and Treasurer to ensure continuity for these positions. He also emphasised the need for Regular walkers to affirm whether or not they wish to continue having walks in the Blue Mountains.
After dessert treats were offered around by some of the ladies, further conversation followed before members headed for coffee and home, well satisfied with another enjoyable end of year BBQ.
Let the BBQ'ing commence !
The Upton sisters, Pat and Noel David E, Don B and Clive
On the right: Maurice, Jim, Michael and Claude
and below: Lawrie,Margaret B, Aileen and Les
Egg rings? Forget them! Who else but Ray? Welcome back!
Photographer Don W takes a break from taking pictures and President Kurt addresses the group
Deidre and a beautiful visitor
Barrie, Pam, Lindy and Rosie on the left and Helen A and Norma on the right
Jill and Rhondda (below)
and Secretary John with Ros G
And below, the group at post BBQ coffee at the NPWS cafe.
Bobbin Head c 1900 showing the original boathouse. The picture was taken prior to landfilling to make Orchard Park and other recreational areas.
Did you know that the name Bobbin Head derives from a large rock which stood at the end of the headland, and as tidal waters rose and fell about it, it appeared to bear a likeness to a head and shoulders bobbing in the creek, hence the "bobbing head", which was later changed to Bobbin Head. Bobbin Head, on Cowan Creek. Today it is part of Ku-Ring-Gai National Park, proclaimed in 1894. It is still a popular place for picnics, which are not so difficult to arrange as in 1897, when it was necessary to send a telegram, to hire a horse drawn vehicle to be in attendance at Wahroonga to meet the train. The name may also have been named after the farm of Mr Hutchinson who had a farm in the area.
For the record, attendees were Helen A, Clive, Margaret B, Don B, Barrie, Wendy C, Maurice and Susan, Rhondda, Elaine E, David and Annette, Laurie, Sue and Michael, John and Ros, Ray and Norma, Pragati, Mary, Rosie, Aileen, Cherry and Peter, Diana L, Dot, Chris McA, Diana M, Dawn, John M, Bert, Claude and Margaret, Wendy P, Kurt, Vreni, Pam, Deidre, Lyn, Jim, Pat and Noel, Rosemary, Jill, Don W and 6 visitors.
Words by Bert
Pictures by:Don W(2, 3, 4, 8, 11, 2, 14), Susan C (1, 5, 9, 10, 13, 15) and Helen (6, 7)